Wednesday, September 19, 2012

We are totally hip

Makes you a better person after kids are asleep
so, our friends (the stuncaphers), the chef and the girl who loves puppies, came into town to see a rock show last night (we will get back to the rock part). We LOVE these guys. She smuggled mini-bottles of champagne and raspberries into the theater with the supermodel when they went to the movies and when I went with her she was the mule for a full large sized pizza. She is the person to see movies with obvs. He is a chef. What else do you want me to say about him? He is amazing and showed up with a handle of Dr. Muffin Tops magic elixir and a bottle of Prosecco. Well I think it was a bottle of Prosecco it was gone too fast to really know for sure.

Previous to them darkening our door we had a day. There was a Biology Honor Society picnic at 5 that chubby cheeks and I went to while the supermodel got Wilson and Mr. fabulous ready for grand-pal's night at their school (At which dr. toliet told them that his mom and dad were going to a bar to smoke cigarettes and drink beer later). 2Pop and Mimi (totally BiggieSmalls but she doesn't appreciate her nom de plume) came to get them and whisk them away. When I got home it was clean and pull down the murphy bed to prepare. I was tired and had a big glass of milk to help prepare me for a nap that I had no time for. Then all within 15 minutes or so, the grand-pals and progeny returned, progeny was all put to bed, the grand-pals left, the Stuncaphers arrived, and then the sitter of children. I didn't know which way was up. The Prosecco was popped and downed while toasting our lives of great pleasure.

We piled into the Volvo at which time the puppy lover announced an epiphany. "that baby sitter thinks we are old." We laughed while she and the supermodel discussed her flawless skin and youth. I think the jump from newlywed and in love and hip in a hip town like Oxford, MS to a suburban house full of kids that require sitting was a bit of shift. Hilarious to watch the wheels turn.

Show was at the bottle tree. The supermodel bought us food there to hopefully perk us up and it did and we had one of the finest beers ever judged in competition. I mean it did win a blue ribbon. What have you ever won? Oh me? I won a medal at my half-marathon. Yes, they did give them to everyone but mine is special.

Must watch Goonies
I digress. The show was fun. Not bands I would pick out to go see but I was happy to be drug out to see them.  The venue is eclectic and has all of the best bits from thrift stores from the region. The crowd was young and very hip. Just ask them, they are totally hip and have heard of bands that don't even exist yet. You get the idea. Totally fun though. I especially like the girl who showed up in roller skates and had three known wardrobe  changes throughout the night. Not just shoes and hats but different dresses, shoes, hats the works. Each more Cindy Lauper than the last. Speaking of which, the first band Nicky and the Dove was pretty much a younger more Swedish version of her with some blinky rave lights in her hands and vague belly dancing thrown in. Yes, that is what I mean and yes it was a bit odd. The music was catchy though.

Twin Shadows is who the Stuncaphers had come to see and I really was surprised by how much I didn't hate it. The supermodel has the hipster doofus taste in music (Read as: Hot Chip, Grizzly Bear, Panda Bear(who I think is just the beach boys) etc.). She dug it. I admit is was fun and it def had 1980's shiek, new wave, talking heads with U2 guitar effects. I don't know how to describe it. Go listen to it for yourself. At one point in the show he compared the Bottle Tree to the aunts house where they didn't care if you smoked pot. He then asked if anyone had any parents who were cool like that. A few hands. He then asked if anyone was a parent. My hand and maybe one or two others who made poor decisions in high school. We were booed. Mr. Shadows then chastised the boo-ers.  That endeared him to me slightly. This did not help the we are old theme playing in the back of my head. I am hip and all those trust-fund hipsters can... go do bad things to themselves. As puppy lover said at one point, I have a job and heath insurance and a retirement plan so you guys can suck it.


Is the blonde a guy in drag? Falacia?
Show ended around midnight. The supermodel and I ended around 11:30. We found a spot in the back to crash and look through old show posters and a 1960's design coffee table book. We crashed hard but it was delightful and a perfect end to the night. Snuggled up in public being judged by kids born in the 90's wearing clothes from the 80's and listening to music with Heavy influences from the 80's. I wanted to tell them it wasn't that great the first time but they all want to be in the Bengals. What can you do?

We got home, paid off the sitter, and chatted and ate dark chocolate M&M's. The only regret of the night was the lack of late night greasy Mediterranean food (the purp). This was skipped due to their departure time of 4:00 so as to get to work today. Real Jobs for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment