Thursday, April 18, 2013

Beach Trip

You know whats better than a trip to the beach? A trip to the beach with 15 students!

So, last weekend me and 15 students whom I did not know along with two other professors went to Dauphin Island. Two 15 passenger vans worth of Biology headed down 65. Not many details other than I was in the Zoology Van and we had a pretty great time. Spent Friday afternoon in South Alabama looking at endangered salamanders and some various snakes and other critters.
Saturday morning was birding and herping at the Audobon Sanctuary on the Island
Saturday afternoon was spent out on the water in about a 45 foot boat trawling for fish etc. to identify.
Sunday more birding, a canceled trip to the pitcher plant bogs due to thunderstorms, and a drive home. I will now include photographic highlights and commentary.


Friday was herping for Red Hills and then once at the island catching my spiders.
Hi my name is Sally and I am endangered
This lovely snake pretends to be a cobra and
when that doesn't work it plays dead and vomits. 
                                          
So, then Saturday birding and herping:
Several pairs of these giant monsters.
I don't trust raptors. My BFF now working at the gold mine
cursed me at one point to have my eye plucked out by one




PS I hate birding. Well I did before this trip. You line up those last four birds in the same place at the same time and it tends to change your mind. Not that I plan on buying all khaki and spending my twilight years running all over the world checking birds off a list.

This was followed by my favorite time of day, meal time. Lighthouse bakery gets rave reviews from me. Dealt with all 9 of us and had delicious food and drink. 

Delicious if not a bit delicate inside. But, I didn't knock anything over
so that is a win.
Saturday after lunch, Boat trip!
                                     

                                     
Second issue with an overly amerous student happened here. We had to explain
that no matter how bad you want to hug them, they don't want to hug you.
First one? Me trying to convince same student that blue herons DO love hugs.
                                     
Saturday night? Seafood Dinner at Beaudeans. This is a must when on the island (even though you have to leave the island to get there. The decor is worth it. Later that night? More spiders and a gecko or two. 
Don't go Changin' Beadeans

Invasive yet cute
 Sunday was more birds and more food.
Required stop on 65 South for free samples and Ice Cream.
Timed correctly this and the Peach Park in Clanton are the only required stops

So yeah, no beach during the day. Only rays soaked up were found while on the boat. It was a nice trip until....

I got a phone call that Stay-Puft is more mobile than when I left her. Well not more mobile rather, mobile with height. That's right I missed her walking. I picture the actual stay puft monster trundling down the street to go eat Bill Murray. Got home and she ignored me and refused to do her trick. I finally saw it this morning more or less. It was way over-hyped. I expected Summiting Everest would be this weekend. Maybe by the 1 year anniversary of her birth she could pull off a 5K but even then it will be slow and painful.... so we could do it together as we share that pace.




1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great and slimy time. Yay for baby walking!!!!

    ReplyDelete